When a colleague learnt I could sew, she asked me if I would help take up her husband’s pants. I readily agreed and she brought in three pairs the very next day. And over the next few months, she would bring in several pants at a time for my alterations.
I was surprised, until I learnt how much alterations cost by professional seamstresses. Now I would never take in a wedding dress or work with a tricky material, such as chiffon – but mending a small hole or taking in a pair of pants can be easily done at home. And you can learn how for free!
Here are 10 sewing and mending tutorials for beginners to get you started.
- How to sew a button (video)
- How to mend a hole in a tshirt (video)
- How to mend small holes in jeans (video)
- How to mend a hole in socks (video)
Hemming and alterations
- How to hem fabrics by hand using the blind stitch (video)
- How to hem with sewing machine (video)
- How to hem jeans and keep the cuff (video)
- How to hem jeans – no sew (video – 0:00 until 4:07)
- How to downsize jeans (photo tutorial)
- How to downsize jeans (resizing waist and legs) (video)
And as a bonus, here’s a video on how to fix the most common problems with zippers.