March 26, 2012Posted in: In the Kitchen, Recipes
It’s been crazy busy the last 2 weeks at work. Whenever work is a bitch, home time (loosely translated into ‘snuggle time’ with the SO) becomes more precious and the beckoning of the couch is far too strong! The last thing I feel like doing is chores or spend too long in the kitchen.
When I get days like that, ordering pizza or takeaway would be the easiest thing to do, but the price of pizza these days is ridiculous. Even with coupons, it is hard to convince myself to fork out the money for the most basic of takeaways. After all, I just want something ridiculously quick and easy.
This is literally one of the urgh-no-time-to-cook recipe I fall back on all the time. It is also mindbogglingly cheap to make and it was a regular menu item during my university days.
To prepare, it takes 3 minutes to wash and put rice on to cook in the rice cooker. And while that is cooking away, I can whip this super easy baked bean curry to go with it.
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 200 gm beef mince
- 420 gm baked beans
- ½ cup water
- 3-4 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp chilli powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Heat a frying pan/saucepan with the olive oil.
- Cook the onion until translucent before adding the mince to brown.
- Add the baked beans, water, curry powder and chilli powder. Stir until it starts to bubble. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 5 mins.
- Taste and add more curry/chilli powder to adjust to your liking.
- Serve on a bed of steamed rice.